Explore Niagara-on-the-Lake and the Niagara Region
Niagara-on-the-Lake was voted the “loveliest town in Canada” last year and we absolutely agree!
The historic & botanical beauty of Old Town, the picturesque views along the Niagara River and Lake Ontario, our many area parks, the famous Shaw Festival Theatres and our friendly residents make this a definite highlight in southern Ontario.
When you stay at The White House – NOTL, you are within mere minutes of several award-winning wineries, Upstate New York and less than 15 minutes from Niagara Falls.
Fun Facts about Historical Niagara-on-the-Lake:
- Was originally known as Butlersburg, named after Colonel John Butler, and in 1781 the town got its official status and became known as Newark. Its third name change came in 1798 when it was called Niagara and was named as the first capital of Upper Canada. The town was once again renamed in the 1880s, this time to what it remains today: Niagara-on-the-Lake.
- Was home to many “firsts” in Ontario: the first newspaper, first lending library, first historical museum and first provincial parliament.
- Served as a stop on the Underground Railroad.
- Is home to the “Laura Secord” homestead.
- Had its historic district designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 2003.
- Is apparently the “most haunted town” in Canada. Special tours are available to tell you all about it.
- Is home to McFarland House: is the oldest surviving building in Niagara-on-the-Lake, which was used as a hospital and Officers’ Quarters during the War of 1812.
- Is home to many historic churches with great architecture.
And so much more !!!
Links to help you experience & explore Niagara-on-the-Lake:
- Avondale Dairy Bar
- Cheese Secrets
- Chocolate FX
- Greaves Jams & Marmalades
- Kurtz Orchards
- Niagara Outlet Collection
- Picard’s Peanuts
- Regal Garden Centre
- Willow Cakes
- Big Head
- Château des Charmes
- Jackson-Triggs Niagara Estate Winery
- Joseph’s Estate Winery
- Konzelmann Estate Winery
- Marynissen Estates Winery
- Niagara College Teaching Winery
- Palatine Hills Estate Winery
- Peller Estates
- Pillitteri Estates Winery
- Pondview Estate Winery
- Ravine Vineyard Estate Winery
- Reif Estate Winery
- Southbrook Vineyards
- Stratus Vineyards
- Strewn Winery
- Trius Winery
- Two Sisters Vineyards
- Vineland Estates Winery
- Wayne Gretzky (Coming Spring 2017)
- Wine Council of Ontario
- Wineries of Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Crush on Niagara Wine Tours
- Ghost Walks of Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Grape Escape Wine Tours
- National Helicopters Inc.
- Niagara Culinary Tours
- Niagara Craft Brewery Tours
- Niagara Wine Tours
- Niagara Vintage Wine Tours
- WeGo Niagara Falls
- Brock’s Monument & Queenston Heights
- Butler’s Barracks
- Fort George National Historic Site
- Laura Secord Homestead
- Mackenzie Printery and Newspaper Museum
- Morningstar Mill (Decew Falls)
- McFarland House
- Niagara Apothecary Museum
- Niagara Falls History Museum
- Niagara Historical Society and Museum
- Willowbank Estate
- Botanical Gardens
- Butterfly Conservatory
- Neob Lavender
- Niagara Parks
- Niagara Parkway Self Drive Tour
- Riverbrink Art Museum
- Welland Canal Centre
- eSkoot Niagara Electric Bike Rentals
- Grape Escape Bike Rentals
- Hornblower Niagara Cruises
- HorsePlay Niagara
- Niagara Sunset Cruises
- Niagara Cycling Tourism Centre
- Niagara Go-Karts
- Niagara Kayak Rentals
- Niagara Riding Stables
- Paddle Niagara
- Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours
- Wine Country Cooking School
- Zoom Leisure Bike Rentals
Niagara-on-the-Lake General Info